[eagle] Re: CAN-Do Suggestions from Juan

Jim Sanford wb4gcs at amsat.org
Tue Jul 17 20:15:13 PDT 2007

Team:
Some comments on this thread, as I indicated earlier.

In no particular order:

" . . working in a vacuum."  To not do so is why we have EaglePedia, and
why I have been pushing for requirements and sharing of lessons
learned.   The harsh reality is that Juan and his team have been testing
some of our stuff in new ways, and we're learning things.  Perhaps we
could/should have learned some of these things in the past, I don't
know.  We didn't, but we know them now, so let's press ahead.

Regarding the board flexing issue:  Juan, please add this to your
lessons learned.  It would be a welcome addition to the component
selection talk that Lyle gave at Pittsburgh.  In the mean time, please
extract all the things that you've learned we should do differently into
a text document that I can add to the lessons learned sub page from my
project management page.  I'll get Dave to post, this is all good stuff.

Milled enclosure:  Bob Davis is looking into that.  I've asked Dick
Jansson to locate an unmodified sheet metal enclosure to get into Juan's
hands for evaluation.  Many considerations here, let's make decisions
based on EVALUATION.

EMI:  We need requirements, but nobody has stepped up to write or
extract.  My threat (grin) to dig out the MIL-SPEC was properly
incinerated.  So, we still have no requirements.  I offer the following
"top level" EMI requirements, based on my earlier post regarding the 3
things it takes to have EMI:
    1.  Every potential EMI source (like switching power supplies)
should be as quiet and well shielded as reasonably posible.
    2.  Every potential EMI victim should be as immune to conducted and
radiated (other than on-channel thru the antenna) as reasonably possible
I'll leave it to guys like Tom Clark to tell me what exponent we should
attach to the value of this in the aggregate of many sources and
victims, I just know that attention to the basics on a per module basis
will make our lives much easier at integration/testing time.

We also need to standardize on IF output levels from RX modules and
input levels from SDX to TX modules.  Volunteers?

I think the above provides all the guidance we need to proceed with an
electrical redesign of the U RX based on what we've learned so far.
We'll need Bob's input on housing studies and we'll need to assess what
the CAN-Do! team is up to before committing to PCboard layout and
construction.  Juan thinks we should wait until some top-level specs are
better refined; we'll come through this discussion.

Regarding the CAN-Do widgets:  The team has offered to do a redesign.
I'm reluctant to get too carried away on this.  We've learned some
things that we'd like to change regarding the power supply, but the rest
of it works, and we should not toss that.  So, this is an area where I
very strongly feel that incremental improvement is in order, not a
wholesale redesign.  My sense is that the power supply noise issues
we've discovered IN TESTING were not anticipated by design folks who are
not necessarily power supply experts.  (Bdale just confirmed this on the
phone.)  Now that we have them, we're seeking such experts.  We may get
some input soon from someone who is such an expert who knows somebody
who knows somebody who is on the team.  If any of the rest of you have
such expertise or know somebody who has it, please step up to the
plate.  I'm gratified at the willingness of the CAN-Do! team to do
whatever it takes, but DO NOT want to toss the baby with the bath water
-- we then start over, and cannot afford that in time, intellectual
effort, or $$  Part of this discussion is the recent conversation
regarding high density connectors.  If we need them and they're
acceptable, so be it.  Some seem to think this is a big deal, I do not
-- it's a technical issue to be evaluated and dealt with.

One commentor expressed disappointment about silence regarding these
changes and lack of direction from "management".  I have been following
this conversation closely, but have not weighed in since I had no new
thoughts or extraordinary value to add.  Rest assured, I follow these
issues closely, and try not to weigh in unless I have something
significant to say.  My silence to this point should be interpreted as
satisfaction with the conversation and apparent direction.  If ever you
think I should weigh in and am not, ask the explicit question.

Chuck asked if someone would pursue alternative inductor components to
reduce radiated noise.  I have asked Juan to see of Project Oscar would
take this on.  I think there is tremendous value in testing with
substitues of this single component.

Finally:  SYMPOSIUM
It is CRITICALLY important that we demonstrate something this year.  We
need it to dispel doubts and we need it to encourage fund-raising.  Our
hosts, the Wireless Association fo the South Hills (WASH) have committed
to helping us do this.  They will provide a 30+ foot tower on a trailer,
antennas, coax, and I'll provide a power supply.  We have a working
U-band RX, and may have a better one.  Bob McGwier assures me that we'll
have a working SDX to demonstrate.  I'll get a 2m TX for it to drive at
significant power.  This will allow us to demonstrate Eagle in the hotel
and in the surrounding area -- vital for publicity and fundraising.  We
also need to show IHU and CAN-Do!, ifthey're working and sending
telemetry on the "downlink", so much the better!

We have much to do in a few short months.  Let's get on with it.

Thanks & 73,
Jim
wb4gcs at amsat.org