[eagle] Re: CAN-Do Suggestions from Juan

Juan Rivera juan-rivera at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 17 16:28:44 PDT 2007

Dick,

You could be correct although I wouldn't call it butchered.  I enlarged the
holes using my milling machine, a few thousandths of an inch at a time.  But
aside from the altered state of this base plate I think there are other
issues to address.  It may come to pass that two compartments are required
to deal with the radiated EMI from the CAN-Do module.  I think it will be
very hard to partition this enclosure into two RF-tight compartments using
sheet metal.  I also think the AVX guide specifying no more than 0.0038"
flex in any one-inch segment of the PCB might be hard to meet with this
enclosure.  AVX is one of the largest manufacturers of ceramic chip
capacitors in the world so I believe they know what they are talking about.
If anyone disagrees and wants to put out another argument for maximum SMT
PCB flex I'd be interested to see it.

Anyway my opinions are just that.  Once the dust settles and there is an EMI
requirement and a PCB flex requirement, a determination can be made to see
if the existing enclosure meets the requirements.  If it does then there is
no need to change it.  That removes all the subjective opinions out of the
decision loop.  You hold everything up to the peer-reviewed requirements,
run some peer-reviewed tests, and either it passes of it fails.  The same
goes for the CAN-Do module and the Receiver.  At least that's the way I'm
used to doing things at work.

  _____