[eagle] Re: CAN-Do-Too! ??????????

Bdale Garbee bdale at gag.com
Mon Jul 16 08:57:12 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-10 at 09:02 -0700, Chuck Green wrote:

> The sub-miniature D connector series has served us well.  If anyone has
> *experience* with something they think might be a better choice, we'd
> love to hear about it.

At the AMSAT annual meeting that was held near Washington, D.C., a
couple of years ago (three?), someone approached me after the CAN-Do!
talk that Stephen and I gave to ask why we weren't using the
higher-density connectors that put 15 pins in the same shell size as the
9-pin version of the series we have been using... and followed up by
sending me what looked like mil/aero-spec samples of such a part that I
probably still have in my basement somewhere.  I'm sorry that I can't
recall at all who that person was, but it was someone who claimed to be
using such connectors professionally with good results.

At the time, we weren't likely to be redesigning the units any time
soon, so I didn't take any action on this suggestion.  If we're going to
revisit the design and think we need more than 9 pins, it might be worth
investigating higher density connectors like that?

Bdale