[eagle] Re: Source of 70 cm Microphonics Found

Juan Rivera juan-rivera at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 14 16:44:00 PDT 2007

John and all,

As soon as I get my presentation written I'll get started on replacing those
caps as well as the parts you think are associated with the ripple.  Here's
my list of discrepant items so far:

1) 5 kHz radiated and conducted EMI susceptibility - EMI source is the
CAN-Do switching power supply.  No further action needed from me at this
time.  Amount of receiver filtering and shielding required is TBD pending
top-level EMI review and possible modifications to CAN-Do module and
enclosure.  I stand ready to make any modifications or do any testing that
the CAN-Do team requests.

2) Excessive ripple in the passband - I'll order parts next week and attempt
to dig deeper into this.

3) 157 kHz spur - caused by Receiver switching power supply.  Do you want to
try to push the switching frequency higher to get it out of the passband?
Or modify the circuitry to attempt to attenuate this spur? IF we end up with
a two-compartment enclosure, with the digital circuitry separated from the
analog, then this problem will probably go away with filtering.

4) Microphonics - I'm fairly certain that swapping those 5 ceramic chip
capacitors for film will fix this one.  I'll get parts on order next week.

5) Master oscillator frequency jumps - No further action needed at this
time.  Revise design on next rev to use analog TCXO instead of digital.

6) Lack of autonomy - No further action needed at this time.  Revise both
local oscillators on next rev to fixed tune receiver.

Have I missed anything?

73, Juan