[eagle] Re: CAN-Do-Too! ??????????

Alan Bloom n1al at cds1.net
Mon Jul 9 23:37:27 PDT 2007

Jim wrote:

> 4.  EMI Spec:  You put a gun to my head, and I'm going to pull out the
> MIL-STD, which is probably overkill, but MAYBE NOT.  I'd really prefer
> that one of you guiys current in the INDUSTRIAL world take on this
> task and come up with something good enough and reasonable.

I specified several power supplies when I worked for HP/Agilent.  I
found it really hard to come up with system-level noise specifications
in instruments for the same reasons as in the Eagle project.  The
problem is that it's a complicated multi-dimensional problem.

Dimension 1:  Emissions (power supply) vs susceptibility (modules)
Dimension 2:  Radiated vs conducted emissions
Dimension 3:  Interference path:
  Radiated:
  - Magnetic (inductive) vs electric (capacitive) coupling
  Conducted:
  - Power supply bus vs signal lines vs ground loops
  - Voltage (open circuit) vs current (short circuit) specification
Dimension 4:  Emissions level versus frequency (audio to microwave)
Dimension 5:  Broadband vs narrowband interference
(Some circuits are more susceptible to sine-wave interference, some to
pulse-type interference, some to broadband noise.)

If you specified every box in the N-dimensional matrix you would have
hundreds of specifications.

Add to that the fact that the power supply must be specified before the
subassemblies are designed/built/tested and vice versa, and it becomes
an almost intractable problem.

The military's solution is to specify all power supplies and
subassemblies for the worst-possible situation you can imagine.  While
that does improve the probability of success, it still is not perfect
and is very expensive.

On the projects I worked on, we basically just specified the power
supply as good as reasonably practicable using standard shielding and
filtering techniques and then did whatever was needed in the various
subassemblies to make the instrument meet specifications.

One point to pay attention to is ground loops.  Ideally there would be a
single-point ground in the spacecraft (probably in the main power
supply).  The idea is that each assembly's ground return connects only
with a separate wire to the single-point ground.

It's not practical to do that 100% (think of the Can-Do power bus for
example) but any module that can draw large current transients from the
power supply should probably have separate power and ground wires that
connect directly to the power supply.  Also, any sensitive modules
should not have any additional ground returns on the module side of
their power supply filters.  (That is, the ground return should go
through the on-board filter.)

Al N1AL