[eagle] The DS4000 Digital Controlled TCXO

Bill Ress bill at hsmicrowave.com
Tue Jul 3 18:49:26 PDT 2007

Hi Juan,

The audio is a fantastic addition to your super analysis regime. Just
really fine work!!

I've already addressed the issue of the two 10 MHz oscillators beating
as heard in clip #1.

Now what you hear in the second audio clip doesn't surprise me. Just
another reason why I remain digitally challenged and analog biased.

The DS4000 is a "digitally" corrected voltage controlled oscillator. I
believe what you are hearing is the frequency being corrected in finite
digital steps. An analog temperature corrected VCO will not do this. The
correction will be continuous and smooth. The key advantage of the
"digitally" corrected VCO is the ability to "remotely" correct the
frequency with a digital input. I would submit, that feature is not
needed for our application.

The "analog" TCVCXO used in the S2 concept converter uses a low cost
device (available from several suppliers) and offers +/- 1 PPM stability
over temperature (-40 to 85 C).

Regards...Bill - N6GHz