[eagle] Re: 70 cm Receiver IF Spurs - Problem Solved

Louis McFadin w5did at amsat.org
Fri Jun 29 19:31:22 PDT 2007

Juan,Lyle,
I have been watching the correspondence about noise on the power buss
with great interest. I am waiting to see if a noise specification
comes out of this. I can tell you that the power buss will probably
be noisy at least to your standards. The latest plan would have lot's
of capacitance on the buss (many Farads) but of course that would not
help with the high frequency noise. I have been noting the discussion
about noise from the inductors and that will be taken into account in
the design. In other words we will probably shield all the inductors
as best we can and have  EMI shielded Power converters. The plan
calls for a distributed system where there will be many small
converters and not just one or two big ones.

We plan to have many max power point converters mounted near the
solar panels and then many cell voltage to buss converters located
where the battery and super capacitors are placed. They are not
planed to be synchronized so the frequencies will vary based on load.
In other words modules should build in as much noise immunity as
possible.

Lou McFadin
W5DID
w5did at mac.com