[eagle] Re: IMD, Phase Noise, a New Spur, and EMI suggestions

Juan Rivera juan-rivera at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 29 09:09:48 PDT 2007

John,

See results HERE
<http://www.juanr.com/pages/hobbies/ham_radio/Eagle/IMD+Phase_Noise.htm> .

Juan

  _____

From: John B. Stephensen [mailto:kd6ozh at comcast.net]
Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2007 12:26 PM
To: juan-rivera at sbcglobal.net; eagle at amsat.org; Bill Ress; Dave Black
(Home); Dave Black (Work); Dave hartzell; David Smith; Don Ferguson;
Juan.Rivera (Work); Samsonoff at Mac. Com
Cc: Juan.Rivera (Work)
Subject: Re: [eagle] IMD, Phase Noise, a New Spur, and EMI suggestions

The receiver wasn't designed to be linear with a full-strength PAVE PAWS
signal in the passband. The effect of strong signals needs to be measured so
that the in-band dynamic range (blocking and two-tone) can be determined,
but the receiver will only operate linearly with radar pulses that are not
aimed directly at Eagle.

PAVE PAWS signals offset by 750 kHz or more from the center frequency should
have little effect (less than 1 dB increase in noise). This does require
that the signal generator have low phase noise at this offset. The receiver
first LO phase noise at a 750 kHz offset must be less than -132.4 dBc/Hz to
acheive this so the phase noise of the signal source must be less than
-138.4 dBc/Hz to acheive a 1 dB measurment error. It should be much lower so
that we can see the true characteristics of the receiver.

The spur at -134 dBm could be a problem for text-mode uplinks so its source
needs to be determined. Is the internal switching regulator on?

Table 4 in the new requirements document provides a good summary of expected
signal levels at the input and output of the receiver. Spurs may need to be
lower than originally assumed as the text-mode uplinks are very low power.