[eagle] Re: IMD, Phase Noise, a New Spur, and EMI suggestions

Robert McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 05:00:57 PDT 2007

Juan:

If we have had this discussion before,  forgive me.  I have misplaced
both the interaction and my memory.

What is the generator for the "Pave Paws" source?  I ask this because
the phase noise for the "Pave Paws" source does not seem to be included
in your consideration.

Pave Paws is a pulsed instrument.  It will not have its energy
concentrated at a single frequency.  Its energy will be spread
considerably and much of that energy will fall outside of the front end
filter of the 70 cm RX.   A more realistic test would compute that a
-70.2 dBm Pave Paw signal will put  (say) -90 dBm inside our passband
and further, it will be on/off.  Since it is on/off,  there will be gaps
where the amateur signal is not drastically impacted.  A receive system
on the ground, necessarily narrow band,  will provide processing gain.
If we do a good job of writing code, and we do not run out of processing
cycles, it would be nice to do pave paws pulse detection and subtraction.

My point here is, the pave paws situation is a great deal more complex
than your test is capable of revealing.