[eagle] Re: 70 cm Receiver IF Spurs - Problem Solved

Juan Rivera juan-rivera at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 17 19:16:26 PDT 2007

Chuck,

At least in this particular case jumpering across the switch didn't work.
(See my log for today on Eaglepedia.)

Since the CAN-Do module is such an imbedded and pervasive component in
Eagle, I think it needs to be free of radiated and conducted EMI in both
directions.  It's a great little interface but I'm afraid it has some very
serious shortcomings at the moment:

1.    Conducts noise back towards the power source where it can impact other
loads on the same power bus (one ohm of resistance out there was enough to
screw up the receiver.)

2.    Provides a noisy +14 to its load (the noise went right through the
receiver like fat through a goose and ended up in the IF as spurs.)

3.    Radiates EMI that can adversely affect sensitive circuitry at a
distance of over two inches from the rear of the PCB

Attempting to mitigate those problems will put a huge burden on every
payload and the adverse impact might not be fully known until integration
and test, if then.  Trying to go back and band-aid something like this after
all the payloads come together would be a very bad corner to get backed
into.  You could do what I did and sacrifice 2 inches of space inside every
module chassis, or you could try to build a two-section chassis and filter
the lines passing through the bulkhead, adding complexity.  But that doesn't
address the potential impact to another payload from the spikes that are
propagated back towards the common +14 bus.

I would expect that every receiver, block up or down converter, transmitter,
or amplifier will be impacted by this noise in a similar way.  In my opinion
this is a global problem that needs a global solution.  If the CAN-Do module
can be made EMI-free, or meet a yet to be determined EMI spec, then all of
the payloads teams can start their design with a known environment.

If the CAN-Do module is not modified then I think the only safe thing to do
is to build each payload so it can function using CAN-Do switched +14 volt
power (the receiver can't in the Rev-A configuration.)  If your payload can
function with that noisy +14, without any adverse impact, then it is
probably a pretty well protected circuit and should be fairly immune to
whatever noise is added to the source by conducted EMI from other loads on
the power bus.  It just seems simpler and cleaner to fix the problem at the
source.

I have an idea for a noise generator that I will stick on my log...  This
could be the go/no go test for each payload.  I'll go sketch it up and get
it uploaded by about 2000 Pacific Time.