[eagle] Re: CAN-Do noise problem is proving to be a difficult one to fix

Juan Rivera juan-rivera at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 15 15:30:22 PDT 2007

Jim,

I'll need the CAN-Do folks to come up with a shielded inductor that will
have the same form, fit, and function.

I know John has been working on a two-chassis implementation for the
receiver to try to get around the thermal issues that have been raised, but
I am personally apprehensive due to the added complexity of any
interconnects that will be required.  I don't want to beat this milled
chassis idea to death but it might be worth considering from a thermal
standpoint.  If you had enough thermal mass in the chassis perhaps it would
never have time to reach those extreme low temperatures during an eclipse,
rendering the need for a two-chassis approach unnecessary.  It would
eliminate my concern about flexing and with a milled enclosure you could
also move the noisy CAN-Do module into a separate compartment and filter the
power through the common wall.

I've been thinking about DC power distribution in general.  Can someone
explain the plan for Eagle to me?  In aircraft, at least in the one I am
familiar with, they do not use the chassis as a return.  All DC power is
treated the same way as AC power and distributed from a common point as a
twisted pair to minimize common mode noise.  Great care is taken to
eliminate ground loops by insuring that the ground returns are back through
the twisted pair to the source and not through a sneak path to the frame.

Juan

  _____