[eagle] Re: CAN-Do noise abatement plan and questions

Chuck Green greencl at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 14 08:55:35 PDT 2007

John,

Yes, the CAN-Do! s were radiation tested and did very well.  That was
one of the first things done.  It was a special PCB that had some
alternate parts on it for us to choose from for the final version.  The
test was run without the Tantalum shields.  The Tantalum shields reduce
the dose rate so we are very comfortable with the device for the
mission.  We probably didn't need to shield everything like we did but
it's easier to do that after testing the total device rather than try to
figure out what each component can tolerate.  Our police is to shield
any device that contains an FET, top and bottom.  I took this into
consideration when designing the layout for this and the IHU so there
are ICs of similar size on opposite sides of the PCB as much as possible
so that the top shield on one provides bottom shielding for the other.
It's not possible to shield the bottom of an SMD IC except to put the
shield on the other side of the PCB anyway (J-lead SMDs are an exception
to this but we don't use very many of them).  Tantalum does an
outstanding job of shielding.  Sometime when I see you, ask me to tell
you about the time I forgot I had a piece about 6" square in my
brief-case when going through airport security.

Chuck