[eagle] Re: Jim's Phase Noise Number!!

John B. Stephensen kd6ozh at comcast.net
Tue Jun 12 07:48:28 PDT 2007

The high-capacitance ceramic capacitors are very useful for switching
regulators and for general bypassing. They're actually less expensive than
tantalum electrolytics in most cases. Consequently, there are no tantalum
capacitors in the 70 cm receiver.

NP0 capacitors are probably OK, but a 0.01 uF capacitor in an 0603 size
appears to be much more microphonic than the larger leaded version. I used
plastic film capacitors in the PLL integrators but should have used them
everywhere in the feedback loops. Unfortunately, they are going to be larger
than the ceramic capacitors.