[eagle] Re: Jim's Phase Noise Number!!

Juan Rivera juan-rivera at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 11 18:54:14 PDT 2007

Thanks Jim,

I spent some time this evening trying to dig into the CAN-Do noise.   I was
able to reduce it by 3 or 4 dB by temporarily shielding the module with
aluminum tape.  Before getting too excited we need to answer the question -
is this noise going to be a problem?  I think as a general suggestion we
should move the RF to the far end of the enclosure.  We have the space.  I
think it would be best to just extend the traces and not get involved trying
to decouple the leads with ferrite beads and a cable - or perhaps build in
some filtering into the PCB and implement with SMD components.  Extend the
input and output traces so we can stick with the three PCB mount SMA
connectors.  It might be nice to know what steps have been taken in the past
to reduce CAN-Do noise.  Stephen?

I have another idea that would involve a milled enclosure with multiple
compartments.  I can see a modular structure where the sections are
assembled into a chassis and pulled together with threaded rods.  The
individual sections would be kept in alignment with pins. That would take
care of all the RFI and mechanical flexing issues.  If you're willing to
consider this idea I'll follow up with details.  Unless the existing chassis
is made rigid and plumb it is a bit concern of mine.

Moving to microphonics.  I did a quick check of available information on the
Internet and found this: "Barium titanate, which is the base ceramic
material for most dielectric systems, will exhibit microphonic effects."
That article went on to suggest tantalum as a non-microphonic choice.  Since
it should be pretty quiet out there in orbit microphonics shouldn't be a
problem.  I did find out where the bulk of is coming from however - C27 and
C28.  You'll find them on schematic page 4 between U4 and U5.  Almost every
capacitor on the board appears to exhibit some microphonics but those two
seem to be the worst.

  _____