[eagle] New 70 cm Receiver Test Results

Juan Rivera juan-rivera at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 7 20:45:13 PDT 2007

Re: 70 cm Prototype Receiver Testing

John, and group,

I set up my shop this evening to take a look at the microphonic issue that I
had noticed before Dayton.  I decided to use my new SDR-IQ software defined
radio instead of my HP 8566B spectrum analyzer.  The SDR-IQ has a lower
noise floor, is quiet, and doesn't heat up my shack.  Of course it tops out
at 30 MHz and the 8566B goes up to 22 GHz.  But for this application all I
needed was something to look at the IF output at 10.7 MHz.

Before I got to the microphonics I noticed spurs and phase noise that I had
not previously seen with the 8566B - a classic case of going to drain the
swamp and then ending up fighting alligators...

I've posted screen shots and test details on EaglePedia's 70 cm receiver
page.  Click here
<http://www.juanr.com/pages/hobbies/ham_radio/Eagle/Testing_Resumed.htm>
for a link to that top level page.

Then go down to the Project Status area and open up Troubleshooting
<http://www.juanr.com/pages/hobbies/ham_radio/Eagle/Testing_Resumed.htm>
Resumes.  I wouldn't get discouraged.  This is why we built the prototype in
the first place - to find all the little flaws that need attention.

More to follow in a few days...

P.S. I add new material to the end of these logs so if you've already read
the earlier posting just scroll down to the new material at the end.  I
always try to note the date and time I last modified the log at the top so
you can see if there is anything new since your last visit.

WA6HTP