[eagle] Re: Another idea on phased array configuration

Bill Ress bill at hsmicrowave.com
Fri Apr 27 10:16:33 PDT 2007

Bob,

I don't think we'll find a device on the current marketplace that will
suit our efficiency needs. But, if we're willing to develop (fund) a
program to design and build a Class E, 1 watt, 5.7 GHz  amplifier
module, we might get to 70 and maybe 90% efficiency. I have seen Class E
X Band amplifiers with 60 to 70%. The design, including the choice of
active device(s) must start with the goal of being Class E since several
interesting parameters are in play. You just can't take a Class C
amplifier and "push" it into the switching mode. Perhaps a Class C
amplifier might be enough.

But it's a very interesting design challenge - to be sure!! When do we
start??

But, lets assume that we build amplifiers with 100% efficiency. 36 or 43
elements still requires 36 to 43 watts input. What has me concerned is
that the current satellite structure design calls for 6 solar panels
with, what I guess is about 25 watts per panel. That appears to be
consistent with the 100 watts power generation stated in the current
Eagle Functional Requirements.

Are we still working with 100 watts or did I miss something??

Regards...Bill - N6GHz