[eagle] Re: Eagle Microwave Antenna Arrays-- mechanical concepts

Alan Bloom n1al at cds1.net
Sun Mar 25 20:26:45 PST 2007

This is an elegant and simple solution.  However I'm worried that the
DCM phase may not be accurate and stable enough.  From the Xilinx
"Virtex-4 data sheet: DC and Switching Characteristics", page 37, tables
45 and 46:

Output clock synthesis period jitter: +/-100 ps
Output clock phase offset between any DCM outputs: +/-140 ps

With a 400 MHz clock, +/-140 ps is +/-20 degrees of phase.  It doesn't
seem like a 40 degree variation would be good enough for accurate array
element phasing.  Also the +/-100 ps jitter might adversely degrade the
quality of the transmitted signal.

However those are worst-case specifications.  Perhaps phase innacuracy
can be compensated by measuring the indivicual FPGAs we plan to use and
including calibration tables in software.  We would have to measure the
parts over all environmental parameter ranges to be sure the calibrated
values are stable and repeatable.

Another solution might be to pick a lower clock frequency so that the
innacuracy is a smaller percentage of a clock cycle.  The tradeoff is
that the IF image would be harder to filter out.

This is a good enough idea that it is probably worth doing some
investigation to see if it can be made to work.  (Sorry, I'm not
volunteering. :=)

Alan