[eagle] Re: Eagle Microwave Antenna Arrays -- mechanical concepts

Alan Bloom n1al at cds1.net
Fri Mar 23 11:42:07 PST 2007

Tom,

Have we given up on the idea of using DSP techniques to do the phasing?
If each antenna/amplifier had its own RF generator controlled by
separate (I & Q) DACs, then it would be easy to control the phase of
each element precisely with "infinite" interpolation between steps.

The same goes for the amplitude.  So you could, for example, taper the
amplitudes of the elements near the edges to reduce sidelobes.  It
should be possible to get a fully-symmetrical beam pattern to eliminate
spin modulation.

This technique would allow full flexibility in antenna placement.  The
optimum phasings and amplitudes could be calculated before launch for
all beam angles (every few degrees) and stored in a table.  Software on
the satellite would then interpolate between the table values.

Alan Bloom