[amsat-florida] Re: Packet on ISS Downlink 145.800?

w4dbt@aol.com w4dbt at aol.com
Sat Jul 31 19:47:53 PDT 2010

Yes, the Amateur Service is the primary (and exclusive) user for the 2M band.  However, I believe that anyone can use any frequency they want provided that the ERP is less than something like 100mW. (Don't quote me on this, but I think there is such an exception).  Of course, even a low-radiation signal like that, if close enough (like utility lines) will be easily heard in our receivers.

Also, we seem to have entered an era in which anyone can violate any FCC regulation they want, as long as nobody complains and they don't get caught.  We are experiencing intrusions of all nature, especially from consumer electronics and major appliances at levels never before seen.  Watch what happens to your HF bands when you get around to replacing your washer/dryer with one of the new, state-of-the-art microprocessor-controlled units.  There is no RF suppression whatsoever, and it comes right out through the front display panel.  Prey, prey to the powers that be, that your neighbors never buy a Toshiba large screen TV!!!  I can't speak for their flat panels, but their rear projections sets could qualify as HF transmitters!!

I'll continue to listen and keep a log as well.

73
Dave (W4DBT)