[amsat-florida] The Florida AMSAT net is in trouble

Andrew Glasbrenner glasbrenner at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 25 10:33:59 PST 2009

We've got a real problem coming up. The KG4YZY repeater is going to be
removed from the NI4CE system no later than January 31, 2010. YZY-R is
the Echolink source for NI4CE, and from what I've been told there are no
plans to replace Echolink on NI4CE. The majority of our checkins are
from the NI4CE system by a very wide margin. KG4YZY-R may be relocated
to a lower site, or it may go QRT by that date.

Further compounding the problem is our continued unanswered need for
additional net control stations. As some of you know, I have a baby
coming next month, which is only going to make it harder to be net
control. With the number of check-ins we have, I'm amazed we cannot find
one or two motivated individuals to step up and be net control once a
month or so.

As I see it there are a few ways forward. NI4CE can simply be dropped
from the net, and Echolink connections can be shifted to the ZPZ
repeater in Orlando. We can find another wide area Tampa repeater that
will host here, or the net can continue without Tampa. This is
problematic since two of the three net controls are outside of the
Orlando repeater range.

I'm open for suggestions.

73, Drew KO4MA