[amsat-dc] Re: Capitol College Visit

Alex "Sandy" Antunes aantunes at capitol-college.edu
Fri Sep 13 08:56:45 PDT 2013

Hi Pat (Hi Samudra!)

We would love to have you visit!  We are hoping to get both more into
AMSAT interaction (especially after we enjoyed your meeting last year
held at the GSFC Visitor's Center).  We're also working to get more
students interested in Ham radio in general.

We have a half dozen students either licensed (Technicans class) or
working towards their license.  This Fall we hope to hold a foxhunt to
stir up more interest, and we have several profs and alumns willing to
mentor if we can start the spark among the students.

We don't yet work the hamsats, but as I said, we're getting there.
Our 'VelcroSat' club is working on a CubeSat; right now mostly on
payload, but we have CubeSat bus work going on as well.

For high altitude balloons, Prof. Angela Walters is the lead on that
(and also our department chair!)  Bear in mind we're a teaching
college, not a research institute, so everything is in the context of
'what benefits the students most'.  In addition to our own low
altitude balloon work, we're part of the MD Space Grant Consortium's
Balloon Payload Program as well and just starting on teaming for high
altitude work.

As far as visit times, let me know a few potential days/times and we
can set it up.  Fridays are best for us (no classes), but if that's
difficult we can toss some other schedules around.

Cheers,
Sandy

Alex "Sandy" Antunes, Ph.D., KB3VNB
AE Faculty, aantunes at capitol-college.edu, 301-369-3615