[amsat-dc] Re: wanted: to borrow or buy a Yaesu G-5500 AZ-EL controller and rotor

Samudra Haque samudra.haque at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 10:43:30 PDT 2013

The "classical" programming paradigm is to develop a solution FOR a fixed
set of requirements. In the case of an AZ-EL rotor, this would conceivably
result in the  development of the modern version of "the same thing" in use
for many years, and no new discovery, essentially some sort of computing
device, calculating and putting out a control signal that would be
translated to an actuator that would turn the attached boom in two axes,
and therefore the antenna. Several problems will plague such a design, and
will be difficult to scale up or modify to other systems - the torque
required, the braking forces, the sensors (closed loop, open loop), and the
different modes of operation required for low-angle passes, overhead and
flip-passes. It's difficult to get a computer program to solve such diverse
issues. And of course, the inertia of the system is almost always never
taken into account at the level of ham radio homebrew development efforts.

If you agree with me upto this point ... (and with apologies to my robotics
and dynamics instructors at GWU) would the community support a formal
dynamics/mechatronics inter-disciplinary project to define an actuator
mechanism (6DOF) and develop a antenna positioner robot to provide ad-hoc
slewing of antennas? This type of project would require advanced concepts
in dynamics such as an equation of motion/inertia/acceleration/, state
vector/RK45 predictor estimation and trajectory planning. Also some of the
mechatronics control systems would have to be modeled and the various
forward and reverse kinematics equations solved for different required pass
trajectories. And, the system would obviously have a command and control
loop with absolute position sensors, so our beams could be that much
tighter in specification.

Warning: the math is not for the faint of heart - but the challenge as I
have described will an excellent framework to get high school/college/AMSAT
STEM syllabii in line for an graduate engineering degree program.

73 de N3RDX