[amsat-dc] Re: wanted: to borrow or buy a Yaesu G-5500 AZ-EL controller and rotor

David Bern David.Bern at engineer.com
Sun Jun 2 03:03:51 PDT 2013

Louie:

All good ideas.  The Raspberry Pi or BeagleBone Black little Linux
computers gives us the possibility of running a tracking program such as
predict

    http://www.qsl.net/kd2bd/predict.html

or gpredict

    http://gpredict.oz9aec.net/

in addition to a protocol converter.  I especially like the idea of
controlling a telescope drive.  This project could be useful to
astronomy buffs.

I am teaching my students a software engineering principle that it is
valuable to be as generic as possible; that is, to be platform agnostic
and protocol agnostic.  It is a more work in the short-term but the
benefits are huge in the long-run.  I told them that hard comes and goes
buy software is forever.  On Thursday, I told them, for example, that
the initial version of a protocol converter would take a protocol in and
then produce the same protocol out: to really understand a protocol, you
need to be able to read and write the protocol.  We dubbed this a "null"
protocol converter and it should do nothing correctly, i. e. bits in and
the same bits out.  The plan is to implement a "null" protocol converter
for the DiSEqC and the EasyComm protocols that we are learning.  Once we
have these two null protocol converters working then we have the pieces
to easily configure a DiSEqC to EasyComm protocol converter.

David, WL2NX