[amsat-dc] Fwd: PhoneSat tracking

Samudra Haque N3RDX & S21X n3rdx at amsat.org
Wed Apr 10 11:50:30 PDT 2013

Hi fellow DC/MD/VA amsat amateur radio operators, our friends at PhoneSat
have passed on a message with advance Info concerning the Phonesat triple
deployment from the new Antares launcher (Orbital) when it goes up in a few
days.

I am the Ph.D student involved with George Washington University and NASA
Ames Research Center's Micro-Cathode Arc Thruster Phonesat Experiment. We
are hoping to contribute thrusters to a future phonesat mission. There are
active and inactive(test) payloads in the PPOD from PhoneSat, so we may
only hear 1 or more of the birds. These early flight prototypes are only
designed to validate systems and not provide full two-way communications,
so only the downlink will be observed. I am based in the DC area, so any
questions, please send them to me, and I can help out. As the finals week
is nearby, K3GWU will still not be operational by then, so I am also
seeking a radio station to help with in tracking, if you have the time and
interest please let me know, and what equipment you might need to make it
possible.

73 de N3RDX
Samudra

Here’s the summary of the necessary information to track and submit packets
for PhoneSat.****

Launch is now scheduled for April 17, but the window is open until April 19.
****

Let me know if you know about other radio amateurs that need this or more
information.

PHONESAT Tracking

Basics:
 Call sign: KJ6KRW
 TX Frequency: 437.425 MHz
 Modulation: AX-25 AFSK
 Data Rate: 1200 bps

Tracking the Satellite:
Launch Parameters
 Launch date: 04/17/2013
 Orbit: 270km x 300km
 Inclination: 51.5deg

TLEs will be provided through the mission website at
http://www.phonesat.org/
Forwarding Packet Data
Decoded packets or audio files in (.wav) can be uploaded to the PhoneSat
mission website, at http://www.phonesat.org/

-

** **