[amsat-dc] ezcap SDR receiver and GNU Radio

David Bern David.Bern at engineer.com
Sun Mar 24 16:18:08 PDT 2013

Friends:

At the AMSAT-DC Workshop on Saturday, March 23, 2013, Tom, K3IO and I
demonstrated the ezcap $20 RTL-SDR SDR receiver USB dongle with GNU
Radio.  The ezcap device can be purchased from

    http://dx.com/p/mini-dvb-t-digital-tv-usb-2-0-dongle-with-fm-dab-remote-controller-92096

The January 2013 issue of QST discusses the ezcap USB dongle on pages 30
to 35 in an article /Cheap and Easy SDR. /In addition, more information
is at

    http://rtlsdr.org/
    http://osmocom.rtlsdr.org/

At the Sunday Seminar of the 2012 Digital Communications Conference, a
custom Ubuntu Linux DVD-ROM with GNU Radio pre-installed on it was
distributed

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17338050/xubuntu-gnuradio.iso
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17338050/xubuntu-gnuradio.jpeg

The GNU Radio home page is at

    http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki

A .grc file defines a GNU Radio configuration.  .grc files for narrow
band FM and for wide band FM are at

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17338050/mono-nbfm-ctcss.grc
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17338050/mono-fm-and-sca.grc

These can be used to listen the weather radio or to an FM repeater and
an FM broadcast station, respectively.  We need to thank my SDR and DSP
guru Chris, KB3CS for providing these .grc files.

After you have booted the DVD-ROM, copy these .grc files to your
desktop.  Then, double click on a .grc file and gnuradio-companion
should start up with a dataflow diagram.  Click on the gray gears icon
to execute the .grc file; be sure to increase the audio volume as
necessary.  I will remove these files in two weeks to free up space in
my Dropbox.

For those who have a Hermes SDR, Tom McDermott, N5EG has been working
with GNU Radio for the Hermes SDR transceiver

    http://svn.tapr.org/repos_sdr_hpsdr/trunk/N5EG/

I have not tried this yet, so I cannot comment on this.

Enjoy,
David, W2LNX