[amsat-dc] Re: Coming Soon: AMSAT-DC Spring Workshop 2013

Kilroy, Patrick L. (GSFC-5680) patrick.l.kilroy at nasa.gov
Fri Mar 8 13:31:33 PST 2013

Hi Art,

Wow!  Thanks!

You would also need a dummy load and narrow band signal
source with your IC-7000.  I have two ideas for the signal
source if you have time (or another volunteer's time or
someone of your own delegation) to work on an audio
interface cable.  . . .

1. Someone's laptop PC (or MacBook or iPhone/Android/device)
that plays a 700 Hz sine wave mp3 ad nauseum, although boring,
would be nicely functional for us.  A very important
contribution indeed!

Or the same cinfiguration, but a recorded voice MP3, with the
actual content of little concern -- but something from the
Houston AMSAT Net archives might be a nice touch.  Or Newsline
or the ARRL Audio News Service, etc.  If your interface radio
cable is made with a standard (3.5mm TRS, not TRRS) stereo
audio connector on the source end, then we can plug in any of
a number of devices that I/we will have on hand.

2. In addition to the above source, I can loan you an old
(never been flown) Radio Shack "parrot" repeater module
that is slated for a future high-altitude balloon payload.
This is a small, battery-operated electronics box with
everything but a transceiver in Crossband mode.  With the
proper audio and PTT interface cables made for your IC-7000,
these can "simulate" a bent pipe satellite, less the Doppler
shift.  However, things could get a bit messy (RF-wise) in our
venue, but, after, say, 3:00 P.M., . . . who would care?

If any of the above becomes "too much" for you then let us
know on the amsat-dc list and we will try to get you some
relief as needed.

Thoughts?

About the students from Thomas Jefferson HS, they are
welcome to join us.  But I might caution to bring more
adult Elmers with you.  Please also have each of the
students and Elmers contact Martha to register in advance
as noted at:

http://patkilroy.com/amsat-dc

and ANS and amsat.org and several other sources.

THANK YOU for getting the word out.

THANK YOU for supporting us another year with your great
photography skills!