[amsat-dc] New Receiver on Way

Pat Kilroy pat at patkilroy.com
Wed Jan 23 08:22:11 PST 2013

I AM EXCITED about the new FUNcube Dongle Pro+
receiver (part number FCD2-15).  One is on its
way right now to my home mailbox, directly from
Howard G6LVB in London.  Should arrive in two
days, perhaps sooner.

This is the SDR receiver that I hope to show
off at our AMSAT-DC Workshop Spring 2013 coming
your way on Saturday, March 23.  I expect to
be running it with either the SpectraVue or
the SDRsharp software.

If you would like to "join me" in checking it
out and bringing yours with you too then keep
track of the FUNcube Dongle Web site.  Better
yet, don't wait until orders are announced as
being re-opened to the public on the main Web
page.  Go straight to:

https://funcubedongle.3dcartstores.com/FUNcube-Dongle-Pro_p_8.html

and click the button for "Put me on the
waiting list" intent to order.  Just fill
out your e-mail address.  At the same time
you might want to create an "account" there
with your name and address to save time
later.

The total cost in today's exchange rate is
under $214 (US dollars) including shipping
and handling.  We do NOT have to pay the
VAT (tax), and the ordering site knows that
from your address.  (I hope I don't need a
disclaimer to say that I am not benefiting
financially from this "sales" pitch.)

FYI, if you want to compare the new features
of this receiver with the old then browse
these pages:

New Specs
http://www.funcubedongle.com/?page_id=1201

Old specs
http://www.funcubedongle.com/?page_id=74

I trust someone will bring one of the "Cheap
and Easy SDR" receiver dongles that was
recently featured in QST Magazine (January
2013, page 30, 6 pp), to show us as well.

QST Digital Copy:
http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/arrl/qst_201301/index.php

The price range is claimed as being "$20 and
up" depending on the features of the specific
dongle you choose.  A large part of the six
pages is dedicated to step-by-step tips to
get the SDR# software up and running.  This
is good for everyone!  The other major part
of the article covers a construction project
which is needed only if you want the
expanded frequency coverage of HF.  Any
takers to dive into this for us??

We'll talk later about antennas and tracking
as desired.

I am dying to hear about the antennas that
folks are using or planning to use, especially
if anyone expects to experiment either on a
band above 70cm in frequency or with small
circular polarization (CP) yagi types.

n8pk at amsat.org