[amsat-dc] Re: AMSAT-DC Spring Workshop 2013 (Planning 1.0)

Kilroy, Patrick L. (GSFC-5680) patrick.l.kilroy at nasa.gov
Mon Jan 7 12:01:27 PST 2013

Hi Samudra,

Good to hear from you!

1. Again, I am narrowing down to one LARGE room,
with 6-ft tables, chairs and outlets not too far
away.  And plenty of elbow room for safety, room
for antenna elements to spare our eyes!  Audio
noise level will be high at times, other times
for a speaker, hopefully low.  Hopefully a house
PA system will be in place, otherwise I will
import my own sound gear to serve as a PA.

2. Well, there will be a Powerpoint projector,
with signal cable for one laptop at a time.

3. The plan is yes, for access of the NASA
Guest-CNE WiFi network available with fairly good
coverage in all buildings on site.

I envision in its most basic form, one or more
RF sources (433.920 MHz AM/FM/USB to start) will
be alive during the entire event.  Folks will
come in to set up their PORTABLE station and get
it showing satellite positions in common (that
is, the correct answer) and then receiving the
RF sources on their SDR receiver or conventional
receiver/transceiver.  I would like to see all
stations capable of copying USB on 2m and 70cm,
but some might not have any but FM, a pity.  ;-)

Some will need more help than others.  That's
okay.  We are all there to help each other.

With a "donation" average of, say, $20 per AMSAT
member, I believe we will be able to afford some
catered food and no one will need to leave the
building for lunch.

I have no clue how big or how small of an event
this will be.  A lemon that will be made into
lemonade will be the fact that advanced
registration for each individual will be
required by a certain date.  February 15 for a
non-US citizen, and TBD (a week or ten days) for
a US citizen.

How copy?

Did I answer your questions okay?