[amsat-dc] Re: AMSAT-DC Spring Workshop 2013 (Planning 1.0)

Kilroy, Patrick L. (GSFC-5680) patrick.l.kilroy at nasa.gov
Mon Jan 7 10:13:14 PST 2013

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for your great comments and ideas!

First, yes, please check with MARC to see what
conditions they would like to set for sponsorship.
A $20 across the board fee for AMSAT members
sounds okay.  With a followup to the discounts
if possible.  (Would be nice if we don't have to
deal out money during the event.)

Please check to see if the wildapricot system
can "refund" half of the fee after the event for
where it is confirmed that a person indeed (1)
brought a "substantial" demo station or (2)
gave a "substantial" presentation knowing that
individuals will be offering extemporaneous
short talks/guidance throughout the event, or
(3) that the attendee is an AMSAT-NA Life
Member.

I really like the idea of offering Life members
the discount, even though *I* do not qualify
today.

So, maybe (gulp!) it should be $30 for non-members,
hoping that those individuals will call Martha
to become a member and effectively get "$10 off"
in a way??

To recap: $30 non-members; $20 AMSAT-NA members
and sponsor/MARC members (claim one, unfortunately
not both); $10 AMSAT-NA Life Members, right off
the top.  And we consider to apply any discounts
*after* to those who wish to claim a discount.

Thoughts?

(I expect to pay full AMSAT $20 price -- to test
the system? -- and probably won't bother to claim
a discount.)

"Leftover" money can be used to buy more goodies/
food/misc/other for the event itself and then
and only then any further "left-over" be donated
to AMSAT-NA.  Drinks all day and a catered
lunch is sounding better all the time.

I will drop the idea of a raffle or a silent
auction SOON unless we find someone to delegate
the task after the more important roles are
filled.  Since I just might consider doing this
SAME workshop annually then some things like
this might wait a year before implementation.

Yes, there is a dual-use factor between the
high-altitude balloon portable ground station
and the amateur satellite portable ground station.
In fact, one of my RF sources is to be one of
the PICetSat modules beeping on 433.920 MHz AM/
FM/USB.

I am working on getting a LARGE room with 6-ft
tables and chairs available with lots of elbow
room.  Not the same building as before, it is
under renovation.

A live demo is good but depending on which
building we are in, and the complexity of who's
station employed, will dictate.

I'd hate to hold a concurrent flea market and
have to answer to that with my employer, but
there HAS to be a low-impact means to barter
gear.

SDR yes!  Maybe Tom Clark will show his little
toys and provide color commentary???

Things are starting to gell.  Let's keep the
idea exchanges alive.  More comments?