[amsat-dc] Re: AMSAT-DC Spring Workshop 2013 (Planning 1.0)

Bruce Semple brucesemple at verizon.net
Mon Jan 7 09:09:04 PST 2013

Pat, Dan, Steve .. and all

Pat - thanks for getting the ball rolling on this --

1. Great!

2. Our Club (Montgomery Amateur Radio Club - MARC) has recently purchased a
subscription to a Membership Registration Service - to manage the club
membership -- One of the functions it offers is  event registration
(http://www.wildapricot.com/event-registration)   I have initiated an
inquiry with our board to see if MARC is willing to be a "sponsor" of the
AMSAT-DC workshop -- and allow us to use the event registration feature of
this SaaS (Software as a Service) offering.  Notice it would handle the fee
collection, and if needed, a structured fee plan.

3. I am in favor of a basic fee -- $20 seems reasonable.  Yes, I could see
waiving some or all of it for presenters / demonstrators.
I agree to stay "on site" for lunch would be more efficient.

  Option D:   -- let's see how many "helpers" we get to see if we a silent
auction is an option.   I am assuming we would have to have some contingency
plan if some items don't get "bought" at their minimum price.

4. people are probably going to block the whole day -- so we could probably
run until 4:30 --   Maybe have all the "formal" activities wrap up by 3:30 -
Do we need to allow for some cleanup time -- to get the donated space "back
in order"

-- it would definitely be good to get rolling by 10:00am --  are we thinking
lunch @ 12:30 - 1:00 -- maybe we should start a little earlier?

-- I think it would be nice to have a couple of 20-30 minute talks or
talk/demonstration planned. --
Would we be meeting in the same room as last time -- could it be partitioned
off -- so that if someone did not want to attend a "talk" they could keep
browsing?  --

5. Do we have the option of opening it up for "satellite related" equipment
swap"  if hams want to bring in some equipment they want to sell?

6. Other Ideas --
   -- Obviously SDR's is one of the hot tech topics --   I went ahead and
got one of the $20  SDR dongles (January QST)  and got the SDR# software up
& running --
  -- I'm still not completely sure what the I & Q signals are -- how are
they created --
It would be great to have a SDR SME there to answer questions.

Regarding "working the birds" -- I think one of the biggest challenges  -
Especially with the linear birds is managing the Doppler shift ...
  -- how are you doing it on your portable station?
It would be interesting to have some sort Doppler shift simulator  and let
participants get a sense of the tuning required.

7.   Are you thinking about working a pass during the workshop?
   FO-29 goes overhead between  11:30am - 12:30
  We should also be able to get in an SO-50 (FM bird) pass

8.Possible Talk Topics
    -  "getting ready to work the next AMSAT-NA cubsat
    - SDR's how they work
    - AMSAT-NA - Current Operational Status of existing sats
      -- Near future plans - (can we get Drew to stop by?)
    - Pat - do you have any of your balloon hardware you want to show off --
or talk about recent flights?

73,
Bruce
WA3SWJ