[amsat-dc] AMSAT-DC Spring Workshop 2013 (Planning 1.0)

Kilroy, Patrick L. (GSFC-5680) patrick.l.kilroy at nasa.gov
Fri Jan 4 09:01:48 PST 2013

Dear Bruce WA3SWJ, Dan N8FGV, Steve KS1G and all,

May I run a few things by you for your advice
and comments regarding our coming spring work-
shop?

1. I got a blurb into the next AMSAT Journal
that members will see in their snail mail boxes
soon.  Page 13, nice!  We are official.  ;-)
(See the basic info about this crazy idea below
from an earlier post on our amsat-dc list if
you need a reminder of the vision of this
workshop.)  JoAnne was great in helping to
make this so.

Yayyyy!  The day will be lots of fun!

2. Since the workshop will be on site at Goddard,
I will need to get every single person's name,
nationality and current town of residence into
the NASA Goddard security folks so they can
make a one-day non-escorted badge for each
participant.  Unfortunately, we need to emphasize
to people to register even if they are not sure
they can make it, because registration will close
about a week before the event.  This is NOT like
your weekend hamfest!  Problems?

Any who wish to attend who are NOT a USA citizen
may do so ONLY AS LONG AS they contact me before
February 15, because there are special procedures
in place to make this so.  And they must follow
them within other deadlines.  Unfortunately, NO
exceptions to this procedure.

Bonus: there will be NO FEE to use the facilities.
YOUR tax dollars at work!

But BTW, in the news today, the fiscal cliff has
been pushed off until March 1.  Our use of the
facilities ARE CONTINGENT on these circumstances,
and others.  Can we accept these caveats?

3. Price Stucture.  Trade study/options.  In rough
order of logic or importance, kinda.  . . .

OPTION A.  No charge to anyone.  No coffee in the
morning.  No lunch on site.  No frills.  The lunch
break would be at noon, normally for an hour.  But
to get everyone back, on time, will be a disruptive
pain.  (Been there.)  I'd like to end the event by,
say, 3:30 PM or what ever you think.  (Based on a
9:00 AM start time?)  I beleive an off site lunch
break will put a damper on our progress.

OPTION B.  A modest donation requested.  $20?
That will get us coffee/tea/juice in the morning
and Subway sandwiches (catered) with sodas at
noonish, enjoyed in place (but not near one's
satellite hardware, of course).  The event goes
through lunch unbroken.  We will need a point of
contact, actually two.  One to collect the money
and one to take care of the food, condiments,
utinsils, cups, napkins, set up tables, etc.
Can you volunteer yourself?  Or better yet, have
your wife/GF/significant other volunteer to work
the food issues?  That would be awesome!

OPTION C.  If we request a donation for admission,
then "what if" it is structured?  That is, shall
we consider a main donation of, say, $25 for
"normal" admission, and a lesser fee for either
students or for those who bring at least three
("significant") hardware items to set up, show
and discuss with others?  The lifeblood of this
event will be having at least ten stations set
up for show and tell.  Perhaps an offset of the
requested donation amount will encourage people
to bring stuff.  Thoughts??

OPTION D.  Shall we hold one or more raffles or
silent auctions?  That is, shall we invest in
a FUNcube Dongle Pro+, an ARROW antenna or an
Elk antenna and then make available raffle
tickets?  Or a written auction with a minimum
donation request?  If so, we will need a
volunteer to run with this.  (I can offer some
seed money and accept some risk, but I need to
delegate this to a trustworthy individual.)
Volunteer?  Thoughts?

Any leftover dollars can be either donated
directly back to AMSAT-NA or invested in
needs for a workshop next year.

4. It looks like we are set with the date
of Saturday, March 23, with no rain date.
We can still set the time.  Open doors at
9:00 AM for those who need to set up?  With
the "program" to begin at 10:00 AM?  Or
later?  Shall we advertise that the program
ends at 3:30 PM?  Or earlier?  Or later?

5. Shall we solicit formal talks or presen-
tations too?  (I was not planning this
initially.)  Limit the talk time to ten
minutes?  Sixty minutes?  Then we ought to
delegate an individual to coordinate the
presenters in advance?  Volunteer?

Otherwise, No formal talks, but allow
individuals to address the group as issues
come up at the tables?  No volunteer needed
to coordinate this.  I can probably do it
on the fly during the event.

6. I will set up a table with my humble but
growing portable satellite station on the
evening before the event.  Would anyone
like to join me, either to move MY gear, or
move in YOUR own gear?  That way, I/we will
be free in the morning to help or direct
others as needed.

7. We want this to be a successful workshop.
What other important framework item needs
to be discussed?

Thoughts?

Thank you for your support!

Mr. Patrick L. Kilroy