[amsat-dc] AMSAT-DC Spring Workshop 2013 Proposed

Kilroy, Patrick L. (GSFC-5680) patrick.l.kilroy at nasa.gov
Thu Dec 6 08:46:13 PST 2012

I WISH TO PROPOSE the AMSAT-DC Spring Workshop
2013, to take place on Saturday, March 23, at
the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center in
Greenbelt, Md.  It will be a nearly all-day
event.

"Workshop on Portable Satellite Ground Stations"

... is the title, where attendees will learn
about and develop their own portable ground
station and show off their wares which will
feature one or more of the following:

1. One's own laptop computer, with appropriate
software installed, such as for satellite tracking,
SDR receiver control, antenna control (optional),
audio recording and any other apps, for example.

2. The FUNcube Dongle Pro receiver or equivalent,
emphasizing *receiving* and not including the
transmit side at this particular time.  See the
links below for ideas about software, receivers
and antennas.

3. Antennas for 146 MHz and 436 MHz with a
mounting means, such as on a camera tripod, small
mast, homebrew PVC, or other portable creation.
Your antennas can be either the Arrow, Elk or
equivalent, or homebrew.  Polarization linear or
circular.  Antenna Az-El movement can be by hand
or controller (manual activating or automated,
fully or partially).

Everything, or almost everything, ought to be
designed to run from a 12-volt source of your
choosing.

Additional details will be determined by a small
humble steering committee that YOU can influence
early on.  And speaking of that, . . .

May I include you, among others, on my steering
committee?  If not, that's okay, but I need to
know if you'd like to participate.  Can you
bring in some gear to assemble and to show off
to others attending?

Perhaps we could meet in person, telecon by
phone, or by EchoLink conferencing soon as a
group to further outline this event?

Foremost, if needed, an alternate date can be
selected, from either March 9 or 16, or moved
into April on a Saturday AFTER the Greater
Baltimore Hamboree and Computerfest of April 6,
as long as we decide in the next week or two.

Are you in??

Can you help organize?  Or attend?  What might
you bring?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Pat Kilroy