[amsat-dc] SK: Art Goldman. N3OY

Tom Clark, K3IO tom.k3io at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 20:28:20 PDT 2009

It is with great sadness that I learned of the recent passing of Art
Goldman, N3OY (formerly WA3CVG). Art was 67 and succumbed to melanoma.
Information is at

Art was very active in CARA (Columbia Amateur Radio Association) and was
an AMSAT Life Member. Art often handled the satellite Field Day effort
at W3AO(see http://www.arrl.org/contests/soapbox/?con_id=133&call=W3AO
<http://www.arrl.org/contests/soapbox/?con_id=133&call=W3AO> for 2006
pictures. W3AO is the 19 xmtr multi-multi joint effort of CARA & PVRC).

Art lived in Columbia which has severe antenna limits. Despite this, he
managed to get on AO-40 using BBQ dish antennas. He show up frequently
in the AMSAT-BB archives. Art was also very active in the packet radio
world in the 80's & 90's. Art (with NG6Q) developed the TCP/IP driver
for the Eagle Computer card (Zilog 8530) for KA9Q's NOS. .

A personal remembrance: Rick Hambly (W2GPS), Bob McGwier (N4HY)& I
remember fondly the 8-hour x 2-way "captive audience" trip to/from
Dayton a few years ago. Despite Art's New York Jewish roots, he knew
every country & western song every made. What with McGwier hailing from
redneck Alabama, the trip was hilarious. I particularly remember the two
singing to Toby Keith's hit C&W song "I ain't as good as I once was, but
I'm as good once as I ever was!" (complete lyrics are at

73 Art -- you are missed!