[amsat-dc] 2009 AMSAT-DC Workshop Results!

Kilroy, Patrick L. (GSFC-5680) patrick.l.kilroy at nasa.gov
Mon Apr 27 07:09:15 PDT 2009

Greetings!

The 2009 AMSAT-DC Workshop was held this
past Saturday as planned.  It was held in
place of the annual spring "AMSAT-DC Meeting
and Space Seminar" of previous years, as
voted by acclamation at last year's
meeting.  Something "new and different"
was the vision.  And, ...

What a great day ... for education, for
AMSAT and for NASA!

The workshop was not without its scrapes,
cuts and bruises.  After all, it was an
experiment unto itself, in part to see how
well such an event might "take" in the
mid-Atlantic USA region before attempting
to emerge beyond.  In the all-day event, a
total of five individuals participated and
three flight modules were built.  We had
humble beginnings, indeed.

A follow up session is in the planning
stage.  (We didn't have enough time to
complete some troubleshooting and to start
the calibration procedure on each module.)
We will meet at NASA GSFC again in the next
month or two -- this time, instead of in a
huge cushy conference room serving as our
"fab lab", it will be inside a real space
flight hardware laboratory -- to calibrate
the PICetSat II flight sensors.

Would you like to participate in a
calibration session?  Even if you missed
the workshop, you are welcome to "finish
the job" with us!  The session(s) are free,
but slots are VERY limited.  Current AMSAT
membership is required, and an advanced
RSVP is required for security purposes.

Contact me by e-mail if you are interested
in participating.

After our next AMSAT-DC planning telecon
(to be held within the next two weeks) I
will release our calibration date(s) and
time.

Please share the excitement.  Please pass
the word.  What a great day for education
and outreach.  And fun!

Respectfully submitted,

Pat Kilroy, N8PK, co-host
Bruce Semple, WA3SWJ, co-host