[amsat-dc] AMSAT-DC Workshop Saturday, April 25, in Greenbelt, Md

Kilroy, Patrick L. (GSFC-5680) patrick.l.kilroy at nasa.gov
Thu Mar 5 12:11:04 PST 2009

AN AMSAT-DC WORKSHOP will be held on
Saturday, April 25, at the NASA Goddard
Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md.

A small "simulated satellite" kit will
be built, tested and operated by
individuals attending.  The completed
kit, soon to be widely known as a
PICetSat II module, is a simple remote
sensing unit that serves as an expendable
high-altitude small balloon payload.
It transmits downlink telemetry on the
70 cm Amateur Radio band.

Other attendees will provide and
configure radios, computers and software
needed to receive, decode and analyze
the PICetSat II telemetry.

The workshop is an experiment unto itself
for the sponsoring AMSAT-DC group.  This
workshop may prove to be a fine training
opportunity for one to learn the basics
of the design, construction, testing,
calibrating and operating an earth-
orbiting satellite.  All in one long
Saturday of fun!

HELP IS NEEDED
The workshop planning team meets weekly
on Thursday evenings via a telephone
conference.  If you wish to help organize
and/or execute the workshop then there may
still be time to hop aboard if you are
quick.  Contact me by e-mail for the
details of connecting with the group on
the telecom at pat.kilroy at nasa.gov.  We
need another experienced soldering and
construction helper or two, a photographer,
a videographer, and several "Go-fers" to
name a few.

INFORMATION COMING
Because of the workshop's experimental
nature, the size is designed to be small
in attendance this inaugural year.  It
will be an exclusive opportunity to
AMSAT members, new and old alike.

On Sunday, March 16, we expect to
release details on the attendance
application process and donation.  Watch
for information about the workshop via
the AMSAT News Service (ANS) bulletins,
the AMSAT-DC e-mail list, and the local
AMSAT-DC web page.