[amsat-dc] MD-DC Area Test Team ARISS L-Band Challenge

Pat Kilroy pat at patkilroy.com
Fri Dec 19 09:54:50 PST 2008

Hi!  Anyone want to experiment with me?

To try a contact through the ARISS cross-
band repeater in L/V mode (see announcement
below),  I have an L-band antenna, feedline,
and all the V-band equipment.

But I need someone with a means to transmit
FM voice on 1269.650 MHz.

Shall we team up?

Otherwise, anyone have an L-band transverter
in good working condition to loan or sell
soon?

Sykesville, Md. 21784 (FM19mk) Carroll Co.

[snip]
> * + ARISS Finalizes Plans for Silver Anniversary of Amateur Radio from
> Space
[snip]

> [...]
> repeater mode with a twist," Bauer said. "Our intent is to configure the
> radio for 145.99 MHz uplink -- including CTCSS tone of 67.0 and 437.80
> MHz down. This will be performed in low power mode. We should also note
> that an extra-vehicular activity (EVA) is planned for that week --
> Expedition 18 Commander Mike Fincke, KE5AIT, and Flight Engineer Yury
> Lonchakov, RA3DT, plan to perform a spacewalk on December 22. As per
> standard procedure, the ISS ham radio system will be turned off for the
> EVA."
>
> Bauer said that from December 28-January 3, the cross-band repeater will
> be reconfigured for what he called "a special experiment. This will be a
> test of our L-Band uplink capability, which, to date, has not been
> proven out. Plan for an uplink of 1269.65 MHz and a downlink on the
> standard frequency of 145.80 MHz, using low power," he said. "Given the
> substantial cable losses of the L-band system, we hope some 'big guns'
> are able to penetrate through, keep up with Doppler and make the
> connection."
>
> A special certificate is being developed for those who communicate with
> the ISS from November 30, 2008 to January 15, 2009. This certificate
> will be awarded to those who have had two-way communications with the
> ISS on voice, packet (APRS) or through the voice repeater. Those who
> hear the ISS from space in any of the ARISS operations modes -- voice,
> SSTV, school contact, voice repeater or digital - will also be eligible
> to receive a certificate.
>
> To receive the certificate, Bauer said to note the ARISS mode of
> operation (such as SSTV, voice or school) on your QSL and whether the
> contact was one-way (receive only) or two-way. "You should send your
> self-addressed, stamped envelope to the normal ARISS QSL volunteer
> distributor in your area of the world," he explained. "On the outside of
> the QSL envelope, please include the words '25th Anniversary
> Certificate.' Make sure your envelope is big enough to accept an 8.5 x
> 11 inch certificate and includes the proper postage." If you do not know
> where to send your QSL, check the ARISS Web site
> <http://www.rac.ca/ariss/oindex.htm#ARISS_Update--25th_Anniversary_of_Ha
> m_Radio_in_Space> to find the one that serves your part of the world.
>
> "We will be sending your certificate to the volunteer distributors in
> bulk after the event is over," Bauer said. "This saves workload and
> money. So do not expect to see it until 1-2 months after the event
> closes on January 15."
>
> Bauer reminded hams that due to ISS flight requirements related to
> spacewalks and vehicle activity, the radio onboard the ISS may be off
> for some portion of this schedule. School contacts and general QSO
> opportunities by the crew will also preempt this schedule for short
> periods of time. "But remember that if you hear these," he said, "you
> still qualify for a commemorative certificate. Enjoy the ARISS ops on

[snip]

=====
>From Weekly Satellite Report WSR-353:

INTERNATIONAL SPACE STATION (ISS) - ARISS
Catalog number: 25544
Launch date: November 20, 1998

Current Active Modes: FM Repeater - U/v
                      Voice -       V/v
                      BBS -         V/v
                      APRS -        V/v 9k6
                      SSTV -        V/v

Expedition 18 Crew:
Commander:                Mike Fincke      KE5AIT
Flight Engineer:          Yury Lonchakov   RA3DT
Flight Engineer:          Sandra Magnus    KE5FYE

Available Modes and Frequencies:

Digital/APRS:
Worldwide packet uplink:   145.825 MHz FM 9k6
Worldwide packet downlink: 145.825 Mhz FM 9k6

Voice:
Region 1 voice uplink:     145.200 MHz FM
Region 2/3 voice uplink:   144.490 MHz FM
Worldwide downlink:        145.800 MHz FM

Crossband Repeater:
Repeater Uplink:           437.800 MHz FM
Repeater Downlink:         145.800 MHz FM

SSTV Robot 36:
Downlink:                  145.800 MHz FM

Mode and Antenna Polarization:
V: Linear
U: Linear

Callsigns:
Belgian:                   OR4ISS
German:                    DP0ISS
Russian:                   RS0ISS
                           RZ3DZR
United States:             NA1SS
Packet Mailbox:            RS0ISS-11
Digipeater callsign:       ARISS

Official ARISS Webpage:    http://www.rac.ca/ariss
ISS Fan Club Webpage:      http://www.issfanclub.com
APRS tracking page:        http://www.ariss.net/

ISS Daily Crew Schedule: http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/station/timelines
Remember that the crew operates on UTC time. Also, all of the time
line is NOT translated from Russian and posted.
[121812008]
NNNN
/EX