[amsat-dc] Re: March 15 is the Date

Tom Clark, K3IO k3io at verizon.net
Fri Feb 22 22:11:51 PST 2008

Pat Kilroy wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> We have about three weeks until our local
> AMSAT meeting and space seminar.  Here is
> my status report.

In case you would be interested, I have a new project in the works that
enables a low-cost, accurate computer controlled antenna positioner.
This is NOT just another analog computer interface that uses
potentiometers inside the rotor --- all control is digital. I'm getting
about 1° accuracy in both az & el, and it is quite suitable for small
(~1M) dishes and/or small yagis. Not sure of the final costs yet, but a
2-axis rotor system with controller should cost <$250, with all the hard
parts purchasable with plastic over the internet.

Also, I think we (N4HY, W2GPS & I) will be in the position to
demonstrate a functioning breadboard prototype of the Suitsat-2 SDX
transponder on the air. People should be prepared to TX on 70 cm (435.9)
& RX on 2M (either 144.35 or 435.90 TBD).

73, Tom