[amsat-dc] Fwd: NSF small sat workshop info

Pat Kilroy Patrick.L.Kilroy at nasa.gov
Mon May 14 07:21:03 PDT 2007

Is anyone keeping an eye on the "launch opportunities
for small spacecraft" topic at the local symposium as
identified below?

It might be of direct interest to the CubeSat group at
Thomas Jefferson High School in Fairfax, Va. and many
others!

http://spaceweather.gmu.edu/meetings/ssw/

>>>From: Michael Hesse <michael.hesse at nasa.gov>
>>>Date: March 5, 2007 6:06:45 PM EST
>>>Subject: NSF small sat workshop info
>>>
>>>Dear all,
>>>
>>>Here is some information on the NSF small sat workshop.
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>>Michael
>>>
>>>------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>ANNOUNCEMNT: NSF workshop on Small Satellite Missions for Space Weather
>>>and Atmospheric Research
>>>
>>>The National Science Foundation is sponsoring a workshop on Small
>>>Satellite Missions for Space Weather and Atmospheric Research on May
>>>15-17, 2007 in Arlington, VA.
>>>
>>>In the recent report by the Assessment Committee for the National Space
>>>Weather Program ( www.ofcm.gov/r24/fcm-r24.htm
>>>< http://www.ofcm.gov/r24/fcm-r24.htm> ) a key recommendation was
>>>for NSWP agencies to investigate immediately the feasibility of using
>>>micro-satellites with miniaturized sensors to provide cost-effective
>>>science and operational data sources for space weather applications.
>>>In response, NSF's Division of Atmospheric Sciences is organizing a
>>>workshop with the purpose to explore the possibilities and benefits of
>>>utilizing small satellite missions to provide essential measurements for
>>>space weather and atmospheric research.
>>>
>>>Topics that will be addressed at the workshop include:
>>>-launch opportunities for small spacecraft
>>>-innovative technology developments for small satellite systems
>>>-miniaturization of scientific payloads
>>>-advancing research by means of measurements from small satellites
>>>-using small satellites as an educational tool for science and
>>>engineering
>>>-identify key space weather needs that can be satisfied by small
>>>satellite observations
>>>
>>>The Workshop will include both invited and contributed presentations and
>>>posters. Scientific and technical contributions that can help establish
>>>existing capabilities as well as emerging new developments on all these
>>>topics are invited.  Those that contribute to space weather research and
>>>applications are particularly encouraged.
>>>
>>>A program committee will oversee the planning of the program for the
>>>workshop. Its members are:
>>>Charles Gay, NASA HQ
>>>Michael Hesse, NASA GSFC
>>>Robert McCoy, ONR
>>>Kent Miller, AFOSR
>>>Therese Moretto Jorgensen, NSF
>>>Howard Singer, NOAA SEC
>>>
>>>To suggest a presentation for the workshop please email a brief
>>>description to Therese Moretto Jorgensen at NSF, tjorgens at nsf.gov,
>>>preferably before April 15, 2007.
>>>
>>>The meeting will be held at George Mason University, Arlington Campus.
>>>The local organizer is Robert Weigel, rweigel at gmu.edu
>>>
>>>For practical information and to register for the workshop please go to
>>>the meeting website, spaceweather.gmu.edu/meetings/ssw/

> [...]

Patrick L. Kilroy                                             WK
Integration & Test (I&T)            301-286-1984 Voice
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center    301-286-1673 Fax
Building 5, Mail Code 568           Patrick.L.Kilroy at nasa.gov
Greenbelt, Maryland  20771          http://lro.gsfc.nasa.gov/

                   "Great discoveries are accidents
                      observed by prepared minds."