[amsat-bb] Re-entry predictions for BY70-1

Mac A. Cody maccody at att.net
Sun Jan 29 22:51:32 UTC 2017

Todd and Joe,

Given that BY70-1 is a 2U cubesat measuring 10x10x20cm and weighing
only a few kilograms (details here:
https://amsat-uk.org/2016/12/27/by70-1-fm-transponder-satellite/),
it will completely burn up upon reentry.  When and where it will
burn up, of course, depends on the orbital dynamics, atmospheric
conditions (the sun's radiation affects the height of the top of the
atmosphere), and the satellite cross-section.  The eventual demise may
be over one of the oceans or a cloudy region, with no one present or
able to witness it.

Since BY70-1 is reported to have 3-axis stabilization, we may be
able to enjoy its use right up to its fiery end.  I have been trying
to work BY70-1 as much as my other responsibilities will allow. I
encourage all to do the same.

73,

Mac / AE5PH