[amsat-bb] Satellites and small yagis

Mac A. Cody maccody at att.net
Sun Jan 29 05:03:47 UTC 2017

John,

My satellite 'battle station' uses a three-element 2m Yagi and a six-element
70 cm Yagi, both based upon the antenna set found in the July/August and
September/October 2006 issues of AMSAT Journal.  I've used them for many
QSOs on the FM birds and they should work fine on the transponder birds,
too.
I would imagine that the antennas you've described should work fine.  I
presume you will be placing them on an AZ/EL mount?  I've read that if you
can only have an azimuth rotator, you can place the antennas at a fixed
elevation of 15 degrees.  You'll experience fading if the satellite passes
directly overhead, but that doesn't happen too often.

73,

Mac / AE5PH