[amsat-bb] College OSCAR Activity, grow future membership

Jay Garlitz jay.aa4fl at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 16:34:14 UTC 2017

In 2008-2009 we used to have regular College Satellite Nights, where clubs
active in our area of interest would get on the birds at the same time and
give out contacts. Please let me know if there is an interest again in
doing this once per month and if the group minds allowing SO-50 to be the
venue.

It is important to our future that we grow our ranks through attracting
younger hams. OSCAR operating at the college level can also be a huge
advantage for attractive college students to the hobby.  Many of our
technician course attendees at UF are there for that reason (we give
two licensing courses a year).

Please help spread the word to those at your local universities, and to
other college clubs.  There will be a College Student Amateur Radio Forum
at HamCation HamFest in Orlando, Saturday Feb. 11.  Please let college
student hams know of the event info.

The event is ARRL sponsored, part of CARI, the Collegiate Amateur Radio
Initiative.  The forum will take place at 3pm, and there is room for 50
college student attendees. There are more events planned for the day,
including an evening social event for college students. We should also have
table space for the day for college clubs to distribute club info and to
meet, greet, and network with alumni.  The table would be a good place for
high school student hams to network in preparation for a life of amateur
radio during the upcoming college years.

Questions can be directed to the moderator of the forum, UF Doctoral
student Andy Milluzzi, KK4KWR - andy at gatorradio.org

For the latest of information see the CARI Facebook group -

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ARRLCARI/

73, Jay AA4FL

Dr. Jay H. Garlitz
.
-FCC Trustee, W4DFU at Univ. of Florida, since 2005, www.gatorradio.org.
 The Club Station of the Gator Amateur Radio Club, at UF since 1934