[amsat-bb] Friendship 7 details?

Daniel Schultz n8fgv at usa.net
Tue Jan 10 01:47:46 UTC 2017

Further research indicates that the "Go for at least seven orbits" line from
capcom was to inform Glenn that the Atlas rocket had injected him into an
orbit that would be stable for at least seven orbits, not that he was approved
to stay up that long. This has led to an often repeated but historically
inaccurate notion that Glenn's flight had been cut short by a problem, when in
fact he was never intended to stay up for more than three orbits. The fact
that Scott Carpenter's flight was also for only three orbits should indicate
that the first two manned orbital flights were only intended to fly for three
orbits, being our first initial baby steps into the cosmos.

see   http://www.thespacereview.com/article/550/1
and
http://www.spaceflightinsider.com/space-flight-history/our-spaceflight-heritage-the-odyssey-of-friendship-7/

Dan Schultz N8FGV