[amsat-bb] ISS Packet Frequency?

Scott scott23192 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 01:00:12 UTC 2017

Thanks for the feedback, Graham!

I wasn't concerned with demod or decoding packets on this particular night;
but rather to run a wide-band capture with no doppler correction to allow
the transmitted signal to paint the doppler curve on my display to identify
the center crossing at closest approach.  That does a number of things for
me like identify the transmitted frequency (at least as received by my
hardware), verify my TLE's, and to get a visualization of how much doppler
shift is occurring between AOS & LOS.

It does interest me quite a bit to try to characterize differences between
those who are seeing better performance -vs- those who are not, so you're
right on to mention hardware.  We can't generalize, but I see "some"
evidence since the freq change that the group having better luck might be
those with equipment like the FT-817 and the folks using the excellent
Kenwood HT's.  But it goes without saying that with such a large sample
group, a VERY large number of people could step forward with minimal
equipment reporting good success as well.  From my own testing I can
observe that I decode way more packets with an SDRPLay than with a cheap
mobile rig or generic RTL-SDR.  I know that sounds obvious (that superior
hardware gives superior results) but that's not my point... rather that it
just "feels" like that wasn't so much the case with the previous 2-meter
setup.

I could easily be wrong but when it seems like some experimentation might
provide some useful info to improve everyone's enjoyment of the resource, I
have a hard time leaving it alone!