[amsat-bb] Help with 2-meter ISS packet performance?

Scott scott23192 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 02:40:54 UTC 2017

I’ve gotten a number of excellent replies to my question, but since they
were all off-list, I thought I would post a short summary in case anyone
else was interested.

One reply that taught me a lot referenced the situation that has already
been discussed regarding the very large volume of traffic being directed
towards the ISS since it returned to 145.825.  As explained in the note, if
a digipeater is flooded with transmissions to the point that many (most?)
cannot be decoded, then naturally it has nothing to re-transmit back over
the air.

That is a very valid explanation for why I might not be HEARD, nor receive
very much on the downlink.  And my iGate certainly can’t forward much to the
website if successful digipeats are way down.

While that might explain the situation over the Eastern US, I got a “same
situation here” from Australia.  So, I have to continue wondering if it’s
more than just congestion.

Another ham that is seeing closer to normal performance is operating at
higher power than many of us.  So, that is another vote in the direction of
a “too busy” receiver on the ISS with only a few contacts getting through.

Time will tell; I just wanted to share those informative off-list comments.
Many thanks to all who replied.

-Scott