[amsat-bb] Thoughts on ISS packet switch back to 145.825 MHz (long)

JoAnne K9JKM k9jkm at comcast.net
Sun Apr 16 02:42:32 UTC 2017

Stefan mentioned ...

 > ...many stations are actually on the keyboard and they
 > answer, but I don't decode it on my system and they might not
 > either ... using UISS ...

I'm also using UISS with the fields pre-loaded for quick, standardized
answers given the short time of the pass. While it is quite convenient
to load up some software for soundmodem and UISS vs. all the hardware
cable connections to a standalone TNC - the shortcoming with the
software approach is that you'll only decode and display packets that
are 100% correct, with no single bit error, checksum matches perfectly.
So our stations are often copying a good-sounding downlink signal but it
just takes a single bit error and we're not seeing the other station's
reply on the screen ... or they're missing our reply.

For this reason I'm thinking of going back to my MFJ-1270C TNC when I
have some time to wire it back up. In the TNC you can issue the PASSALL
= ON command and you'll see all packets, even the incomplete or bad bit
messages. In the past I saw enough of most messages that I could
understand what was received.

No unattended beacons at this shack - but the preloaded messages I have
within UISS are usually the same on many passes.

--
73 de JoAnne K9JKM
k9jkm at amsat.org