[amsat-bb] IC-2730A: Full-Duplex, Odd-Splits, SatPC32?

Ken M va7kbm at outlook.com
Mon Apr 10 20:32:53 UTC 2017

Hello all,

I'm looking for a mobile radio that, among other things, will work well
for FM satellites. I'm familiar with the Kenwood and Yaesu products, but
I'm interested in the ICOM IC-2730A. I've found it difficult to get
definitive opinions on these points:

1. Does it support true full-duplex operation? (It supports
"simultaneous receive", but is it full-duplex?)

2. Can you program memory locations with odd-splits? (It looks to me
like it doesn't.)

3. Can it be controlled by SatPC32? (It does support ICOM's CI-V
protocol, so I think a basic level of control might be possible.)

As an aside, if I don't end up with the IC-2730A, I will likely get the
Yaesu FT-8900R - a much older design - but for sure does full-duplex and
odd-splits (although no control protocol).

Thanks & 73,
Ken VA7KBM