[amsat-bb] Problems with my Arrow - Thank You!

Ken Alexander k.alexander at rogers.com
Tue Apr 4 16:44:46 UTC 2017

Hi folks,

The grid expedition to FO00 is over, and it was a success despite the technical problems I was experiencing.

Many months ago, in my satellite infancy, I removed the stock diplexer from my Arrow antenna and replaced it with a Comet (or Diamond?) diplexer.  The commercial diplexer was built in a heavy cast cabinet and used SO-239 connectors.  It was big and heavy, so I took it apart and installed it in a small Hammond diecast aluminum cabinet with BNC connectors.  Much smaller and lighter.  I attached it to the Arrow's boom it worked like a charm up until last weekend.

Late Saturday night, while struggling in the dark to connect a cable to the diplexer I noticed that one of the female BNCs on the cabinet kept spinning as I attempted to lock the cable into place.  Eureka!

I opened up the diplexer cabinet later that night and found that while the center conductor connection was still solid, the ground/shield connection was shaky at best.  I tightened it as best as I could and the problem went away!

I want to thank you all for the many helpful responses.  I read all of them carefully and followed all of the suggestions, to the extent that I could...800 km from home and with only a Swiss Army knife and needlenose pliers with me.

73 and thank you again!

Ken Alexander
VE3HLS