[amsat-bb] Using AR Preamps with Icom IC-9100 in Satellite mode

Jim Walls jim at k6ccc.org
Tue Apr 4 15:21:02 UTC 2017

I think I'm using the same pre-amps that you are, but a different radio
(Yaesu FT-736).  The pre-amps are used almost exclusively on satellite.  I
completely manually control the pre-amps from a box I built with controls
for the two pre-amps and polarity switching relays.  I have separate power
lines to the pre-amps.

 I'm with Andrew in that you should mount them at the antenna.  Mine are
also pretty short coax runs.  There is a photo on my website that shows the
NEMA box with the two pre-amps mounted just below the rotors.  It's a
little hard to tell that it's two pre-amps, but there really are two
stacked one in front of the other.  The page is:
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/k6ccc/Photo/Pics/SatAnt2.html

 Jim Walls
 K6CCC