[amsat-bb] AMSAT Symposium at Sea

Devin L. Ganger devin at thecabal.org
Sun Nov 27 08:01:45 UTC 2016

Hello, all.

My name is Devin (WA7DLG) and I'm a 44 year-old IT professional and new ham. I got my Technician license in August 2015 to help encourage my daughter in the practical side of her pursuit of astrophysics in college, and got Extra this past June. I write science fiction and pretty much love all things space.

I'm one of the new hams and satellite enthusiasts you may be targeting.

While AMSAT wasn't the first club I joined, it didn't take me long. I'm saving my pennies for a bigger steerable antenna installation for my home station, but in the meantime I'm jumping into electronics and Arduino experimentation to work on a tracker/controller for my handheld Elk antenna. I plan on going back to school to get a physics degree focused on space studies, and maybe beyond.

My wife and I SERIOUSLY talked about going on the cruise to attend this year's AMSAT Symposium. The only reason we didn't was due to job schedule conflicts. Otherwise, that would have been a very enticing entry into the AMSAT community for both of us. I don't know what I'm going to find -- will the sessions be too technical for me, will there be the kind of bickering and politics I've seen the past couple of days on this list? If so, a cruise offers me and my wife a great way to easily escape for a time.

If you do another one, we'll probably see you all there.

--
Devin L. Ganger (WA7DLG)
email: devin at thecabal.org
web: Devin on Earth