[amsat-bb] GN05 and GN06 this weekend

Ken Alexander k.alexander at rogers.com
Mon May 16 23:44:51 UTC 2016

Hi All,

I will be in Louisbourg, NS this weekend for a mediumwave DXpedition,
which leaves my days free.  I had a look at the maps and realized I
would be in GN05 and a few minutes drive from GN06 as well as FN95 and
FN96.  I'm assuming GN05 and GN06 might be somewhat rare, since GN05 is
about 97% ocean and GN06 is about 96% ocean. Making some satellite QSOs
from there seems like a good thing to do!

I am new to satellite operation. In fact, I have yet to make a QSO via
satellite.  However, I'm using this opportunity get force myself to get
off my lazy butt and finally get on the air.  Today I went out and
bought a Kenwood TH-D72A handheld and the Arrow handheld 146/437 OSCAR
antenna.  I'll be struggling for the rest of the week, leaning how to
use the radio.  With luck, I might even make a QSO or two during lunch
breaks.

This will be FM only operation.  We arrive in Louisbourg this coming
Friday afternoon (May 20) and leave for home on Monday afternoon, May
23.   The plan is to look for satellite contacts late Friday afternoon
or early evening (Atlantic Time) and then during the days on Saturday
and Sunday.  I have yet to see what satellites will be available, so I
can't say where I'll be.  I have Gpredict and am familiar with it, but I
don't know how far it can look ahead, i.e, I don't know if it will tell
me what's coming up this weekend.  Any help in that regard would be
greatly appreciated.

Any other tips for a beginner would also be most welcome.  I'd like to
make this a success!

73,

Ken Alexander
VE3HLS